Good movie podcast?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I am looking for a good podcast about movies. Preferably one where each episode is devoted to a specific movie, new or old. I have so far only tried to look in Downcast (iOS app) and the very first one it offered was called Mad About Movies - it’s not very good though. I listened to a couple of episodes, including a “technical one” focused on streaming, 4k and tvs and that gave me zero new information. And the standart episodes are very shallow as well, so I am dropping it.

Any suggestions? I don’t need guest or anything, I just want inteligent people who know what they are talking about disecting movies!

For reference, I loved the Perfect Organism podcast, which obviosly focused on everything Alien and then expnded to Blade Runner, which is where I found it (when 2049 came out).

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By KillerFly

The only movie podcast I usually listen to is the /Filmcast (slash filmcast). Its pretty funny and informative. Each episode they go over what they've been watching that week before reviewing a specific movie together and they always do a non-spoiler section followed by a spoiler section.

tristencarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like The BechdelCast which is a decently funny podcast starring comedians talking about 1 movie per episode and how feminist it is. Huge list of episodes at this point and tons of great guests

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend has tried for ages to get me into the Blank Check podcast - he's heard them many times repeated.

For me unfortunately, my interest in movies have declined as much as the poles are melting.

But he can't get his hands down about it, it's supposedly really great :)

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I usually listen to The Flophouse (a comedic bad movie podcast) and The Evolution of Horror (an analytical horror movie podcast). Can recommend both but if you don't like the comedy in The Flophouse you wont get much out of it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I will try all of those, thank you!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dan and Bianca's Panning the Stream has been pretty entertaining. It's fairly amateur in terms of actual film criticism, but it's typically quite fun if you're not looking for something all that serious. I've enjoyed it.

octavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard Griffin Newman on Doughboys and had a long drive ahead of me so I decided to download Blank Check Podcast and give it a spin. I listened to their, I believe, 4th year anniversary ep and, at the time, most recent ep about Lucky Numbers and was hooked immediately. I believe the thing that made me hit subscribe immediately was when someone on the show described the podcast as a perfect overlay vinn diagram overlay of people who listen to movie commentaries and listened to the podcast.

I also am enjoying their recent two directors who are female, Nora Ephron, and female/black, Gina Prince-Blythwood.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the Bald Move podcasts. They have a 'prestige' podcast and a 'pulp' podcast where they go through both Movies and Television series.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Red Letter Media isn't a podcast, but their channel has plenty of good discussions about movies (outside of the silliness).

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I used to listen to Panning the Stream, which was fun at times. Some of the bad movies were pretty funny to listen to and there were some good discussions when something surprised them. (Not a movie, but their episodes about Evangelion was probably my favorite thing they’ve done) One knock is if the movie is alright, the episode was just...alright. I’ve had people in the past who I could listen / read about whatever movie they watched. I think not being able to maintain that with Panning the Stream was a reason I fell off it after a while.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're more into Film history, Karina Longworth's You Must Remember This is pretty much essential listening. Basically it focuses on Hollywood in the 20th century. She's done topics that range from celebrities who were mixed with The Black Panthers, The Manson family Murders, World War II, and Hollywood blacklisting.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slow down, that’s a lot of samples I have to try! ;-)

martyns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kemuri07: yes yes yes, 300% yes.

You Must Remember This is my favourite podcast. So many fascinating stories, I love it, and I love the way Karina Longworth weaves a story. Skip out the guest episodes and the very first half dozen and you can't go wrong.

I need to listen to the latest season. I'm going to start today.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less professional criticism and more appreciation of good and bad movies, my go-to's are "Rewatchables" by The Ringer and "How Did This Get Made" with Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Manzoukas.

johnlucero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely a shameless plug but my friends and I have a podcast called Multimedia Failure where we watch and rank every video game movie ever made. The idea was for sure inspired by Ranking of Fighters. We are by no means professional film critics but we have fun talking about these truly awful movies. Really opens your eyes to how bad film can be.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

I've struggled to find one that isn't just people talking about modern films, But I do like Blank Check, even if some directors filmographies aren't the most interesting to talk about. How did this get made? is always entertaining, often hilarious, I love the live shows the most, but they've gone back to studio ones recently for obvious reasons. I also like Joe Dante's The Movies That Made Me.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like wisecrack's "show me the meaning"

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like the Weekly Planet and their YouTube series Caravan of Garbage. Couple of Aussies who make some genuinely funny content and usually focus each episode on one movie.

I want to second @jhevans51's Rewatchables shoutout. The categories they talk through are always good fun.

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There's always The Worst Idea of All Time podcast, they've now talked about 5 different movies.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Cinema Swirl podcast.

One of them has seen a bunch of movies, the other hasn't seen any of "the big movies" that people always talk about (the first episode is "A New Hope," the second is "Terminator 2" to give you some idea). The latter predicts what the movie will be about, then they watch it, then they talk about it.

Great fun and VERY light-hearted/upbeat (but don't just listen if you want to hear about how all the movies you already like are unimpeachably perfect classics, they are VERY honest and blunt with some of those).

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could try Film Sack.

They’re getting up to 500 episodes - so plenty of movies to pick and choose from.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShaggE

We Hate Movies is a personal favorite. Also really high quality is Now Playing, although it's annoying going through their archives and finding that a large chunk of their catalog costs money (still a ton of free content, thankfully).

Halloweenies is incredible if you want a superfocused long form horror-centric podcast.

And one that's long gone (I don't even know how easy it is to find the episodes anymore, the hosts sort of took the nuclear option in ending it): Yeah, It's That Bad. Well worth seeking out. [edit: thankfully, it looks like a fan archived it all on various hosts]

UranalTruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double Toasted from the people behind Spill.com and its animated movie reviews. The main reviewers have known each other for decades and got into movie reviewing back in the mid 90s just to watch movies for free. They do shows almost every day and will talk about almost any thing with the Wednesday show usually being their movie reviews. Without any new releases recently they've reviewed classics and fairly unknown bad movies like Tiptoes where Gary Oldman plays a dwarf and did a live viewing of one with Eddie Griffin as a mentally ill guy with a phony African accent who breaks out of prison to kiss a woman and gets wrapped up in a situation with a prostitute and then a Steve Buscemi impersonator steps on his semen.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double Toasted on Twitch and YouTube. That is all. I've listened to those guys since 2007 when they were still spill.com.

snaketelegraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've jumped around and tried listening to a lot but my only mainstay personally is We Hate Movies. It's obviously comedic but the guys know what they're talking about and you'll get deep cut references mixed in with the dumb jokes. It sounds like you're looking for more serious stuff though, and I can (I think third?) You Must Remember This, which is very informative but I'd consider more Hollywood, culture, and actors than like, pure movie coverage. Still interesting and well-presented if you're into old movies.

TMDolemite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed on How Did this Get Made, it leaves me crying laughing at times.

On the more serious end, but still loose and fun, I can't speak highly enough about Unspooled. It's Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson and they went through every film on the AFI Top 100 movies list. So you get everything from movies that are from the 90s, back to movies from the 30s. From Hanks to Chaplin as it were. They talk about the plot of the film and such, but they also give you background context about what was going on around the film and have some really interesting conversations. Just did the Laurence of Arabia episode and I learned so much about that film. And they end each episode by saying if the movie is properly placed on the list, or maybe shouldn't even be on it.

They just finished the last movie from the list a month or two back, and are now starting "Season 2" where they pick a theme and do multiple movies from it. They are starting with school movies and a couple that are included on the list are Mean Girls, and The 400 Blows. So all over the place!

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot of movie podcasts out there. And really it depends on the information of the movie you want to see. If it is good or not.